A peaceful mind,
the absence of uncomfortableness,
a hot bowl of porridge on my lap,
the refreshing berries clearing my mind.
And the radio´s humming: “good daay suunshinee”.
– perfect mornings
How does your perfect morning look like? For me morning time is equals to me- time. I absolutely love the feeling of starting into a new day. Feeling fresh, light and energized. Also: I am literally falling asleep already looking forward to have breakfast as my next meal. Breakfast is the best meal of the day!
Once upon a time I thought skipping breakfast is better for me – because some influencers said, it´s healthier to start eating not before 12 (it´s not!) – because someone made me believe, I do not need breakfast – because I was seeing influencers on instagram having their “late breakfast” at 2pm.
I am glad to say: I am not planning on going back to this mindset ever. I literally couldn´t, because I just love porridge too much and I am not mad about it.
- there is no limit of variations
- it is filling and energizing
- easy to make and it usually doesn´t take too long
- the fibre helps my gut to stay on track for the whole day
- it just looks pretty (never skip the toppings!!)
The basic recipe
one or two
60g (2/3 cup) oats
180 g (1 1/3 cups) water or milk
2 tsp flax seeds, psyllium husks or chia seeds
pinch of salt
1 apple, cut in very small pieces (but not grated)
2 tsp cinnamon
opt. 3 tbsp protein powder mixed with some water
toppings of your choice
- bring the oats, flax seeds and the water to boil, then add salt and turn the heat slightly down.
- Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes. When you can see, that it gets slightly thicker, add the apple and cinnamon
- when the porridge has reached the desired consistency, stirr under the protein powder or any sweetener of choice.
- I love to put some joghurt on the bottom of my bowl before I pour the porridge in it. But this is already part of the toppings.
- Here I used mango, Kiwi, raspberries and tahini
Pingback: super simple porridge recipe - doristrendfood
Pingback: dreamy berries and cream pudding oats recipe - doristrendfood
Pingback: chai spiced Swedish oatmeal cookies - easy and convenient