Millet is a very underrated grain (at least in my opinion). It has a nutty and slightly sweet taste. Combined with milk, love and time it results in a creamy millet porridge – which, no joke – tastes better than the classical oats porridge. Additional you can find a millet-granola recipe, which goes very well with the millet porridge.
Let´s have a look at the ingredients I used, as I am a huge fan of using ingredients intentional. So, each ingredients serves it´s own purpose here.
Ingredients for the millet porridge
- Millet is considered one of the worlds healthiest foods and is packed full of nutrients. It´s also gluten free and digestion friendly.
- soy milk: for this recipe we use water and milk as a liquid. The soy milk makes it already naturally sweet, and most of all: it gives the porridge the creamy consistency
- syrup/honey: I used honey, if you´re 100% vegan you could opt for date or agave syrup. Any syrup works. I actually like the taste of honey 🙂
- The granola is a combination of oats, millet flakes, sunflower seeds (for a healthy fat source), soy flakes (to add some protein and crunch, dates (good for digestion, brain function, …) and syrup to moderately sweeten it.
- As toppings I used almond vanilla chocolate*, blueberries, apple, almond butter and the granola.
= overall this is a very digestion friendly, nourishing and filling breakfast. Packed with lots of great nutrients and balanced in carbs, fats and protein.
creamy millet porridge (+ easy granola)
- for the creamy millet
1/3 cup dry millet (50g)
1 cup water
1/2 cup (soy) milk
1/4 grated apple
1 tsp syrup/honey
- crunchy millet granola
1/2 cup oats (50g)
1/2 cup millet flakes (or more oats)
1/2 cup soy flakes (60g)
1/8 cup puffed quinoa (10g)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (or chopped cashews)
1/4 cup syrup/ honey
3 small dates (chopped up)
1 tbsp almond butter
5 tbsp water
- my toppings
2 tbsp coconut joghurt
1 tsp almond butter
two pieces of almond vanilla chocolate*
- bring the millet and the water in a pot to cook, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the milk and let it simmer for another 20 minutes. If needed add some more milk, until it reaches your desired consistency. Shortly before it´s done add the honey and grated apple
- in the mean time prepare the granola: just combine all the ingredients and form crumbles. Spread them on a baking sheet and bake it for 30 minutes at 160degrees (320 F)
- *ad, save 10% on your next order with dori10
for reading this blog post. If you are trying this porridge or you´re just taking pieces out of this millet porridge with millet granola, please review it down below or send me a message on instagram. I am always happy to see, if people are recreating my recipes.