Easy, quick, convenient and especially super delicious. This is definitely a recipe everyone should know. For these Swedish oatmeal cookies you don´t need a lot of ingredients, but they will for sure soothe your sweet tooth.
The ingredients are absolutely basic: oats, flour, sugar, margarine/soft butter, chai-spice or cinnamon, a dash of milk, some syrup or honey and a pinch of salt to round the cookies up. An oven and a baking sheet might be extremely helpful too.
When I am craving something sweet (like after every savoury meal :D), I usually opt for cookies. Maybe I have been a friendly cookie-monster in a previous life. But I am okay with that. There are a few store bought cookies, I like, but nothing goes over homemade cookies. Am I right?
Ingredients for the Swedish oatmeal cookies
- 125g fine oatflakes
- 50g flour
- 1/2 pck. baking powder
- a pinch of vanilla
- a pinch of salt
- 1 heaped tsp chai spice or cinnamon
- 60g (raw cane) sugar
- 100g margarine or very soft butter
- 2 tbsp (oats)milk
- 30g (agave-) syrup
Good to know may be, that when you´re taking them out of the oven, they are still a bit soft, but they harden as they cool down. So, don´t keep them in the oven for too long.
chai- spiced Swedish oatmeal cookiesCourse: Desserts, recipesDifficulty: Easy
125g fine oatflakes
1/2 pck baking powder
a pinch of salt
pinch of vanilla
1 heaped tsp chai-spice or cinnamon
60g raw cane sugar
100g margarine or soft butter
2 tbsp (oats-) milk
30g (agave-) syrup
- preheat the oven to 180°C upper- and lower heat (356°F upper- and lower heat or 390°F circulating air)
- combine all the dry ingredients, then add the butter, milk and syrup.
- then knead the mixture to a dough. I like to use the dough hugs of my hand mixer.
- Then – sorry, you have to get your hands dirty, even when you used the hand mixer before- form 12 -16 balls with your hands and place them with enough space inbetween on a baking sheet. Then slightly press on the cookies with the palm of your hand. The more firm you press, the thinner they´ll get. Pay attention, that they will flatten even more, when you´re baking them.
- Bake them for 15minutes, then take them out and let them cool down. When they are still warm, it is normal, that they are still soft.
When you´re a fan of oats in general, you might also like these recipes:
- quick comforting apple pie pudding oats
- dreamy berries and cream pudding oats recipe
- basic porridge recipe
- super simple porridge recipe
When you like the Swedish oatmeal cookies, you might also want to dig further into the skandinavian lifestyle. I am in awe of the hygge-lifestyle. In case you don´t know about the cozy hygge-lifestyle, I can recommend you, to enjoy some if these cookies, dipped in milk along this video: The Scandinavian Hygge Lifestyle Taking The World By Storm – YouTube