I know, I know – chickpea cookie dough is not the same as cookie dough and I am not even trying to convince you, that it tastes the same. BUT this chickpea cookie dough IS indeed very tasty and creamy. Other than real cookie dough it keeps me full and satisfied – whilst real cookie dough tends to make my stomach hurt and makes my blood sugar spike.
Before we jump into the recipe – let me explain why I used which ingredients how you might want to edit them to find your preferable variation.
The ingredients for the chickpea cookie dough
- chickpeas: This is our base – they are high in protein and fibre. They are actually very healthy for our digestive system – however if you are not quite used to legumes in general yet, a higher amount (which we use here) might cause bloating. If this is the case I recommend you to start with a smaller amount and increase it over time.
- cacao: I always prefer chocolate flavoured foods over vanilla flavoured ones. But in case you prefer vanilla more – use a little less cacao and opt for vanilla extract and lemon zest instead.
- flax seeds – they contain healthy fats and give the cream a bit of a more interesting texture
- dates – this is what I am using to sweeten my cookie dough. Dates taste slightly caramelised, if used soft dates (which I highly recommend, for example these ones) it makes the whole thing even creamier. Dates are also high in nutrients. All in all the combo of chickpeas, flax seeds and dates never fails me to stay full until the next meal
- cinnamon and coffee: it makes the chocolate taste richer. It´s optional, but I definitely recommend to try it out 🙂
- milk: simply to make it creamy and not brick hard, your blender will thank you as well 😀 A great option is also banana or vanilla milk as it even adds a bit more of flavour.
Not a “guilt” free replacement for cookie dough
Please use this recipe consciously – if real cookie dough is what you are craving, the real one might be the better choice for you. No food is good or bad, all foods are good. In case you are just looking for a recipe to level up your breakfast and snacks – keep scrolling and cooking and don´t forget to let me know, how you liked this recipe.
the best and smoothest chocolate chickpea cookie doughCourse: breakfast, night snack, snackDifficulty: easy
This recipe makes for me two portions. However if you are feeling like half of it is not enough for you to satisfy your hunger – eat as much as you want. Serving sizes are just rough guidelines. In case you have something left over, you can store it in the fridge up to three days. I sometimes also use it as a “chocolate” spread.
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tsp flax seeds
6 tbsp (non dairy) milk
4-6 soft dates*
1/2 tbsp cacao
1/2 tsp cinnamon
opt. 1/2 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp coconut oil
1 apple diced up
- serve with
granola (I used BRüSLI*)
- dice up the apple, heat up some coconut oil in a well coated pan and add the apples. Lower the heat and slowly “bake” them, stirring every then and now
- add all the ingredients in a blender and mix well. Maybe you have to scrape down the cream a few times to actually blend it until smooth. If it is too thick, just add more milk
- serve it with the hot apples and some cold coconut joghurt. I like to even add some crunch to all the soft components like granola, cacao nibs, nuts or seeds.
- * granola made out of “old” bread, which bakeries didn´t sell at the end of the day. (product sponsoring)
- instead of 4-6 dates you can also opt for sugar or syrup. I can also recommend 1/2 tsp of the cinimini chunky flavour + 1 date.
Maybe you also like
if you liked this recipe, you may also enjoy:
- ginger bread baked oats
- blueberry muffins with crumbles
- apple pie pudding oats
- dark chocolate porridge
- creamy millet porridge
In case you tried one of these – it helps me a lot, when people take the short time to review it or leave a comment. In case you have Instagram, send me a message or send me a picture of your recreation.