Life is a combination of magic and … pasta. Am I right? Pasta is always a good idea, when you´re not in the mood to spend hours cooking or you´re lacking of cookingideas. But who says pasta has to be boring? With this creamy pasta WITHOUT cream your lunch or dinner will definitely not be boring. For me it tastes like the desire to be important. Why? Let me explain…
The desire to be important
For me desiring to be important has less to do with having everyones attention, everyones eyes resting on me in a crowded room (gosh – everything but not this, that´s like a worst case scenario) or looking for a way to push my ego. For me it describes more a “I want to matter in this world”.
five reasons why you actually really matter in this world
- otherwise you wouldn´t be here and you are the only person who can be you
- there are people in this world that love you, even on those days you can not see it
- you are stronger than your weaknesses. You survived every single hardship in your life until now. You are constantly learning and growing.
- Your future awaits you. You can dream, work, and achieve things you don’t think are even possible. You might not be able to change your past, but you have the power to shape your future
- You have the ability to make a stranger’s day
You are a human being, never forget this!
You are an active, living, breathing human being. That should be enough.
And afterall – I guess cauliflower also just wants to matter. It doesn´t want to be misused by toxic diet and wellness culture and be called “cauli flower rice” or “no banana smoothie”. It doesn´t want to replace something. It just wants to be what it is – cauliflower. No one likes to be just the replacement of something. So, this is why this sauce tastes like “the desire to be important”.
(For everyone that´s new here – if you can´t tell, I like to think, maybe even think a lot. My head is a very interesting place to be and not seldom people can not follow my abstract way of thinking 😀 )
Cauliflower is the main ingredient for this sauce, but I did not use it with the intention of replacing cream – I used it because it was laying on our kitchen counter and I was craving pasta at the same time.
Recipe for the creamy pasta without cream
creamy pasta without cream: the desire to be important.Course: lunch, dinnerDifficulty: Easy
I know that cauliflower is a very controversial ingredient in the intuitive eating and eating disorder recovery community. This is not meant to replace a cream sauce or mac´n cheese. But it is a nice way to level up your pasta game. Now, let´s start cooking. It couldn´t be easier to make.
- For the creamy sauce
half small head of cauliflower
1/4 cup cashews
1 tbsp vegetable broth
50 ml milk
2 tbsp tahini or coconut cream
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp yeast flakes
pinch of salt, pepper, paprica powder, garlic powder and opt. dried sage
100 – 240 grams of dry noodles. Depending on how hungry you are. The sauce will be enough for anything in between these amounts
- rucola salad dressing
1 tsp (lemon) olive oil
2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp honey
a dash of water
pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- serve with
some dried herbs
- cut the cauliflower head into smaller roses, place them together with the cashews in a pot, cover them with hot water and add the vegetable broth. Let is simmer for 10 minutes on medium heat until it is soft. Then pour away the water – keep the cashews and roses
- in the meanwhile cook the pasta in salt water until it is aldente
- mixing the creamy sauce
- add all the ingredients (including the cooked cauliflower roses and cashews) in a blender and blend well, if it is too thick add more milk.
- taste with salt, pepper, sage and paprica powder
- if desired – add the sauce to the cooked and drained pasta in a pot to heat it up again after blending. But this is optional.
- rucola salad dressing
- mix all the ingredients, add as much water, salt and pepper as desired and then combine it gently with the rucola.
In case you liked this recipe – please review it or down below or let me know via Instagram how you liked it.
And: what does this bowl of creamy, very nutritious yet so flavourful bowl of creamy pasta without cream taste like for you?
maybe you also like: